Thursday 2 May 2013

Great wildlife, difficult fishing


Fishing time has been limited of late but last night I managed to sneak in a couple of hours so I grabbed my 8weight fly rod and headed down to the local Carp pool. I spent well over an hour flicking out dog biscuits trying to find the fish until eventually I came across a couple that showed only the slightest interest in the freebies. They took a few off the top but did not feed with any real conviction. I cast towards them but within ten minutes they had disappeared and my scant opportunity had all but gone. The cold water and long winter has made them lethargic but with a bit more prolonged good weather they will soon wake from their slumber. 

Kestral??

It was nice to be bankside again and the other wildlife on show made up for the lack of fish. I watched this bird of prey foraging along the river bank looking for small rodents. I think it is a male Kestral but will stand corrected if anyone knows better.


It was also quite special to see this pair of Muntjacs, they were skittish but hung around long enough for me to take a photo. I have seen these two before but never had a the opportunity to take their picture before.

Nice sunset


2 comments:

  1. Male kestrel, yes Joe, but the deer are a better spot than you had first imagined being our native roe. You were incredibly fortunate to get so close-up...best look out for a little dappled bambi with them in about June time then!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow I didn't realise, thanks George, would be amazing to spot Bambi too, will keep an eye out for her.

    ReplyDelete