Friday 25 March 2016

The Rumour Mill Keeps Turning


A Bank Holiday finally gave me the opportunity to spend a full day by the water however running your own business does not mean that the work stops completely, I didn't mind a few phone calls though when the view was as stunning as this.


Tazzy and I had ventured up the Cotswolds to a little known fishery that according to a mate of mine has the potential of a 'five'. It seems that every fishery now (allegedly) holds five pound Perch but I get a feeling a lot of these rumoured monsters may be unweighed fish caught by both pleasure anglers and matchmen alike. A big Perch always looks bigger than it actually weighs as Richard Walker implied.
Having said this I think that if any pool could produce a fish of a lifetime then it could be this one. All the right ingredients are in place: A little fished pond so the Perch are left relatively alone. There are very few Carp to compete for the available food, a fact borne out by my Prawn hookbaits not getting pestered by any today. And finally there is a good stock of stunted silverfish for the Perch to gorge themselves on.
The fishing today however was very slow. Cold overnight temperatures and a clear bright day don't generally accompany red letter days but whilst I waited for the fish to wake up I amused myself taking photos of my surroundings. It certainly is useful having two hobbies that can intertwine so perfectly.

I took snaps of the wildlife......although I missed a fleeing Roe Deer Doe!!


Backlit photos of the Spaniel....


Bankside flowers, not sure what they are...


some fluffy clouds...


and my Speedia centrepin....


Throughout the whole day I could only muster one bite, thankfully it fell to the centrepin rod meaning the fight was all the more pleasurable.
A youthful looking specimen of just over two pounds giving me confidence that bigger fish may be there for the taking. Just hope I can find the time to catch them!



1 comment:

  1. Joe,
    Un-weighed, guestimated fish are the mainstay of every fishery managers dreams! How else are they to convince you to part with hard earned cash? The truth is that many anglers are now very happy to guess the weight of their captures - because that's what Danny Fairbrass and his mates do! (they are not unique or to blame)
    Anglers who go fishing without scales, but strangely always have a camera handy, are very much the norm. No smoke without fire - just don't place too much faith in information from fishery managers, they deal in finance, not fact! Tight lines - Dylan

    ReplyDelete