Friday 24 August 2012

Is a static bait the best way to catch Barbel?

This week I have used up a couple of days of my few remaining days off work left in order to give my Summer barbel campaign some real momentum.
Tuesday 21st August.
Got to the Avon early and baited up the swim with Hemp in order to fish meat over the top. The swim is one of my favourites and my confidence was high. The barbel had not read the script though but it was still an enjoyable couple of hours as I was visited by a moorhen and her four chicks which came really close considering what a skittish bird they normally are.
The Kingfisher was very active getting it's breakfast, I will never grow tired of watching these beautiful creatures.
and there was also the usual Swans, Duck, Sparrows, Wrens and a noisy Thrush.
The bird life was a pleasant distraction but I soon grew tired of them and the motionless rods so decided for a change of tactic.
Out came the waders and I tackled up with a loafer, bulk shot down the line and the same hair rigged meat on the hook.
Such a good look!!
First cast and I was into a fish straight away.
Not a monster by any means but a good fighter and a blank saved. I carried on, roaming from swim to swim and finished the session with five Barbel and two Chub.
Trotting certainly outfished static on this occassion.

1 comment:

  1. Jaypeegolf@yahoo.co.uk29 August 2012 at 14:55

    Great to hear of barbel being caught on the float. It's one of my ambitions to do just that but, to date, it goes unacheived :(
    I'd be interested in hearing more about your guiding if possible Joe and can be reached on...
    jaypeegolf@yahoo.co.uk
    Look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete